Can't use Menu items in a 'ApplicationWindow' ?

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Can't use Menu items in a 'ApplicationWindow' ?

Postby lacou » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:46 pm

I noticed that the menu options only work with SWT applications. The template code of ApplicationWindow provides support for menus(MenuManager createMenuManager()) but noneless, I can't drag any menu item to my design like I can do in a SWT application.

Any reason ? :roll: I'm using: SWT 1.2.0 Pro, Eclipse 3.0M4, j2re 1.4.2_01

Also, are you planning issuing a FAQ soon ? I see a lot of interesting stuff in these discussions that should be moved out of there and put in a location with an easier access. IMHO

Francois.
lacou

Re: Can't use Menu items in a 'ApplicationWindow' ?

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:20 pm

lacou wrote:I noticed that the menu options only work with SWT applications. The template code of ApplicationWindow provides support for menus(MenuManager createMenuManager()) but noneless, I can't drag any menu item to my design like I can do in a SWT application. Any reason ?

Yes. Menus are handled differently in JFace application windows. SWT menus are not used directly. Menus are just one way to render an action object. Toolbars are another, and the same action can appear in both the menubar and the toolbar. Once you switch to the Design tab, you will see that it has two tabs of its own (at the top) - Content and Actions. Switch to the Actions tab and you can create new actions and then drag them to the toolbar or the menubar. Nested menu managers may be created and separators dragged to either the toolbar or menubar.

lacou wrote:are you planning issuing a FAQ soon ?

Good idea. Interested in working on one? ;-)
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer