Converting existing SWT code to SWT-Designer compatible?

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Converting existing SWT code to SWT-Designer compatible?

Postby cebarne2 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:24 am

Will there ever be an option to convert user-generated SWT code to the standard SWT-Designer format (all controls created in blocks)?

I understand that everyone has a slightly different way of formatting code, and am interested to know if this is even possible. I have had problems trying to get people to use SWT-Designer for the fact that they are already into development and do not want to start over using SWT-Designer. AND, unfortunately, SWT-Designer cannot interpret their code.

Thanks.
cebarne2

Re: Converting existing SWT code to SWT-Designer compatible?

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:16 am

cebarne2 wrote:Will there ever be an option to convert user-generated SWT code to the standard SWT-Designer format (all controls created in blocks)?.

Yes. That ability will actually appear fairly soon (probably not in the next release, but the one after). Rather than convert to "Designer format", we are enhancing the parser and code generator to better handle a wide variety of formats including the "flat" style common to most Eclipse SWT code. In the next release, Designer will be able to read in many more formats, but new widgets will be added in the Designer "block" style.

cebarne2 wrote:I understand that everyone has a slightly different way of formatting code, and am interested to know if this is even possible.

Not only is it possible, it is an extremely high priority item on our end. You can even see it listed on our product roadmap.

cebarne2 wrote:I have had problems trying to get people to use SWT-Designer for the fact that they are already into development and do not want to start over using SWT-Designer. AND, unfortunately, SWT-Designer cannot interpret their code.

Soon, soon, soon. :-)
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer