Installation of RCP Developer on Gentoo Linux

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

Installation of RCP Developer on Gentoo Linux

Postby jmboone » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi,

I am attempting to install the RCP Developer on my Gentoo system but am having issues. I do not wish to modify my Eclipse install location as root (neither does Gentoo). Instead, I would rather just create an Eclipse extension location since Gentoo protects the emerged install and extentions locations are the perfected installation strategy.

Can I simply un-jar the download in my extension location? The jar has a swt-installer directory so I don't want to mess things up. I could get the zip to I suppose. What do you folks suggest I do?

Anyway, for what it is worth, trying to make the install idiot proof for a product designed for geeks that are writing RCP code doesn't make sense to me. After all, RCP developers SHOULD understand what features and plugins are and where they go in Eclipse!! Thanks in advance for your help

~Jim
jmboone

More Information

Postby blacksmith » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:16 am

Hi Jim:

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. (I do not know Gentoo Linux).

Could you give me an example of the directories you would be installing to?

We use one of the standard ways of adding plugins to Eclipse (using link files).

It sounds like you are using a different way of adding plugins to Eclipse that I have never heard of.

More Information would help me answer your question.

Mark :)
Mark Russell
Build Master
Instantiations, Inc.
http://www.instantiations.com
blacksmith

Postby jmboone » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 pm

I basically want to install the RCP Developer plugins and features in a directory of my choosing, then use the feature in Eclipse called "Extension Locations" to point to it. If you search the Eclipse help for "extention location", you will see what I am talking about. I copied and pasted the excerpt below although it lost its formatting.

In a nutshell, all I want to do is
1) extract the plugins and features from the download
2) link them to eclipse using the extention location feature

I do have root and can symbollically link the directories as well, I just need to know how to get the plugin and features out of the download. Does that make sense?

From Eclipse Help:
[list=]To install the examples from a stand-alone zip file:
Download the appropriate Eclipse SDK Example zip file from the Eclipse project web site at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads.
Extract the contents of the zip file to a new empty directory on your local disk.
Within Eclipse, select Help > Software Updates > Manage Configuration.
Click Add an Extension Location.
Select the "eclipse" directory within the directory you created in step 2.
When prompted to restart, click "Yes".[/list]
jmboone

Postby jmboone » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:04 pm

I went ahead and just ran the install as root and it created a links directory under the eclipse installation directory. No big deal unless the Gentoo guys change something. If so, I will just reinstall. Everything works OK. Thanks for your time....
jmboone

Return to Window Tester