Playback is not possible

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

Playback is not possible

Postby hari » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi there,

I am using WindowTester as testing tool for one of my application. With this I was able to record the testcases successfully. But playback was not possible so far. While palyback it fails to recognize the recorded iterms of the application. Can anybody help me to overcome this problem? Thanks in advance...

-hari
hari

Re: Playback is not possible

Postby keertip » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Does your application launch during test playback? Also could you post a snippet of your test where the failure occurs, and the exception stack trace.
keertip

Postby hari » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:39 am

Hi Keertip,

First of all thanks for looking at this issue and showing interest in helping me.

Please find attached the test script and error log files for Window Tester playback issue. The test is about creating a new project.

The error log file "error_log_junit.jpg" has the information about errors encountered when the test was run as a Junit test. Here the application under test(i.e the Eclipse IDE) did not launch during test playback.

The error log file "error_log_junit_plugin,jpg" has the information about the errors encountered when the test was run as a Junit plugin. Here the eclipse IDE gets invoked, the new project wizard gets opened, but it fails at the point when trying to specify the location to save the project during test playback.

It will be of help if I could get some info about the right package files and class files to be used in Window Tester. In our project we are mainly trying to test menu items and options available in eclipse IDE such as Project Properties, Build/Debug Configurations etc. I feel this provides enough information to you so that you can understand my actual problems and you can let me know what are all the packages that I need to install to record and run these types of tests.

Note: I am unable to upload attachments in a single post as it contains two snapshots. I will upload them in subsequent posts.

Thanks for helping..
-hari
Attachments
test.java
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
hari

Postby hari » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:40 am

First snapshot file
Attachments
error_log_junit.jpg
error_log_junit.jpg
error_log_junit.jpg (185.77 KiB) Viewed 322 times
hari

Postby hari » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 am

The second snapshot file

Thanks,
-Hari
Attachments
error_log_junit_plugin.jpg
error_log_junit_plugin.jpg (210.55 KiB) Viewed 322 times
hari

Postby keertip » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Hari,

You have to run your test as a JUnit Plug-in test, since you are looking to test the IDE. In your launch configuration Run > Run configurations ..., go to the Plug-ins tab, and select Launch with all workspace and enabled target plugins. Then run the test. If it still fails, please post the test or snippet and the exception stack trace.
keertip

Postby pavithra_bhat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Keerti,

As suggested by you, I once again tried to record a new test with the "Launch with all workspace and enabled target plugins" option set under Plugins Tab. But still got stuck up at the same point as earlier. I have attached a snapshot of the IDE as well as the test script used.

Best Regards,
Pavithra
Attachments
test1.java
test script
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
error_log.jpg
Exception Trace snapshot
error_log.jpg (232.11 KiB) Viewed 309 times
pavithra_bhat

Postby keertip » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Pavithra,

Thanks for the test. When the test fails, in the JUnit view, right click on the stack trace, select Copy trace to copy it, and then please post the stack trace.
keertip

Postby pavithra_bhat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:51 am

Hi Keerti,

I have attached the error trace log for your reference. Hope this will help you to investigate the problem.

Best Regards,
Pavithra
Attachments
error_trace.txt
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
pavithra_bhat

Postby keertip » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Pavithra,

Could you try running the attached test as a JUnit Plug-in test and see if it passes?
Attachments
Test2.java
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
keertip

Postby pavithra_bhat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 am

Hi Keerti,

I tried to run your test script as a Junit plugin test and it worked fine without any errors. While I was investigating this playback issue, I found that, when you try to set a path to a folder in your system through WindowTester while recording say creating a new folder or selecting a file to open by browsing through that location in your system etc does not get recorded. Any dialog box opening, etc within the Eclipse IDE works fine and can be played back after recording.

I have a feeling that, this a bug with Window Tester. It fails to recognize the actions performed while recording related to system files/folders. What do you have to say about this? Or have I missed out some related package files while recording the tests.

Best Regards,
Pavithra
pavithra_bhat

Postby keertip » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:02 am

WindowTester does not have support for recording Native Dialogs like the File dialog. See the FAQ entry for details.

http://download.instantiations.com/Wind ... ileSaveetc.
keertip

Postby pavithra_bhat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Keerti,

Thanks for all the help and guidance.

Best Regards,
Pavithra
pavithra_bhat

Postby pavithra_bhat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 am

Hi Keerthi,

Do you have any workaround at your end for this issue ie "testing native folder selection". Also is it possible to use a different tool to invoke native dialogs and then use Window Tester to test the functionality of different options such as Build, Debug etc simultaneously or is there any open source tool that supports native dialog selection with Eclipse IDE. Please do let me know.

Best Regards,
Pavithra
pavithra_bhat

Postby keertip » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Take a look at

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Automated_Testing

for more information
keertip

Return to Window Tester